Thursday, June 12, 2008

Feelings vs. Reality

So I haven't written in about a week and a half. Why? Because I didn't feel like it.
I haven't really read much of my Bible lately. Why? Because I didn't feel like it.
I haven't spent much time in prayer lately. Why? Because I didn't feel like it.
I haven't read my book in a while. Why? Because I didn't feel like it.
I haven't excercised in weeks. Why? Because I didn't feel like it.
I have't eaten heathly in days. Why? Because I didn't feel like it.

I often question my salvataion. Why? Because I don't feel saved.


I think that the world we live in conditions us to believe that we should be driven by our feelings. If I don't feel like doing something, I shouldn't do it. If I don't feel like something is true, then it isn't true. The Bible teaches us different. We are told to walk by faith, not by sight (and I think I can safely add, not by feelings) God wants us to trust in him, even when we don't feel Him. He wants us to trust that the sacrifice of Jesus is sufficient for our salvation even if we don't feel like we are saved. In reality, feelings have nothing to do with reality. The other thing is that we need to learn to discipline ourselves to do what we know is right, even if we don't feel like it. I know that I need to read my Bible and pray. I know I need to eat healthy and excercise. Most of the time, I don't feel like doing these things. My flesh is lazy. It would love to sit around and watch TV all day. I'd love to eat whatever I wanted. But this is not what is healthy for me. It's not good for my spiritual health and its not good for my physical health. Really, its not good for my mental health either. I need to be disciplined in doing what I need to do and not just what I feel like doing. I also need to remember that my salvation is secure no matter how I feel.

No comments: