Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Quiet times and Recreation

Right now I am reading a book called "Powerful Promises for Every Woman" I read something today that stuck out to me and I'm not so sure what I think about it. It is an excerpt from a letter by Susanna Wesley to her famous son, John, the founder of Methodism.

"I will tell you what rule I observed...when I was young, and too much addicted to childish diversions, which was this-Never spend more time in mere recreation in one day than I spend in a private religious devotions"

I've been really thinking about this and I asked myself if this is possible- to spend more time in private devotion with God in a day than I do in recreations. Seriously, I think this would be hard to do. If I watch a movie, for example, that is 2 hours long, than should I make sure that I have spent more than 2 hours that day, alone with Jesus? What about on the days where I have softball games? Thats another hour of my time on Sundays and usually Sundays are days that my husband and I try to have some fun so there's a few more hours there. On the other hand, I do think that I need to invest more time in quiet, private devotion with the Lord. I know that this is an area I struggle with, but should I be calculating my time to make sure I spend more time with Jesus than I do in everyday recreations? Personally, I think I need to spend quiet devotional time with the Lord, but I also think that I just need to make sure that I am keeping Christ with me all day long, with everything I do.

Also, in context of where the author used this quote, she was talking about making sure I am not feeding on foolishness. She warned to beware of the inevitable stumbling blocks and to stay close to the safety and shelter of God's promise of care. I definatly think there are somethings that I could probably root out of my life. I definatly think there are some TV shows that I probably don't need to watch, maybe some movies I should avoid. I think I need to be aware of what it is that I feed myself. Sometimes without realizing it, some of the things I watch could be feeding my negative messages, and its not always that obvious. For example, I love watching the show King of Queens. I think its hilarious. But if I don't take a step back and think for a second, I might actually believe that this is a healthy way that a marriage should function. I think I need to draw more from Jesus and from his Word and make it more a part of my thought process. I need to stick close to the Lord who cares for me in everything I do.

Not sure where I am going with all of this today... just some thoughts

No comments: